Thursday, November 20, 2008

Saving

I'm an obsessive saver.  I always have been.  Back in 4-H days when I received my goldmine of a couple hundred dollars for a few months work, I would squirrel away the majority in hopes of buying an aquarium, a goat, or a hypothetical trip to Canada.  (Seriously, when I was 10, I bought an aquarium  and stand, and when I was 14 I bought a baby goat---no trip to Canada though)

Not working for months ought to have changed the way I save.  I had a difficult time pulling cash out of my savings account to buy my Wii last spring (great investment) and my first impulse as I deposit checks from my minimal tutoring jobs is to replenish my savings account.

I know that, because I have incredibly supportive parents, I'm experiencing illness and my early 20's through different eyes than most. I know that the majority of the nation  is having a hard time meeting basic needs, much less thinking about  saving, but my compulsive saving habit has been eating away at me, urging me to save...

So, I thought of what I can save.  Spoons, obviously. (The spoon theory? ringing  any bells? no? ok) But really, I can store up memories. 

Saving memories?  How lame is that!

No, really.  When I have the energy, I'm saving up memories and stories. When I was sick, my poor parents heard me tell the same story over and over again.  "Did I tell you that _____ called?  She's doing ______ now.  Yeah." (insert bored grunts of agreement here)
  Life outside my bedroom is full of interesting stories---good memories like having a delicious dinner out with my mom and not-so-good memories like the student who was just not into tutoring today.   I want to have good stories to share about this very strange period in my life.

I don't have the energy for my old crazy adventures, and I don't have oodles of money to replenish my savings account or splurge for Christmas, but I can store up memories, saving them for a rainy day or perhaps a "splurge" of a book or paper down the road.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, I finally read your blog as I said I would a month ago. You're doing well! I loved (is that the right word) the blog on September 11. I too, was thinking of other things when the attacks started, and didn't know at the time how it would affect the world. But my story of that day is nothing compared to yours. Also, I wonder, how soon until 9/11 becomes another 12/7?