Saturday, June 7, 2008

The following is from the National Library of Medicine website. I have italicized those that I've experienced

Prednisone may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

headache
dizziness
difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
inappropriate happiness
extreme changes in mood
changes in personality

bulging eyes
acne
thin, fragile skin
red or purple blotches or lines under the skin
slowed healing of cuts and bruises
increased hair growth
changes in the way fat is spread around the body
extreme tiredness
weak muscles
irregular or absent menstrual periods
decreased sexual desire
heartburn
increased sweating


Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:

vision problems
eye pain, redness, or tearing
sore throat, fever, chills, cough, or other signs of infection

seizures
depression
loss of contact with reality
confusion
muscle twitching or tightening
shaking of the hands that you cannot control
numbness, burning, or tingling in the face, arms, legs, feet, or hands
upset stomach

vomiting
lightheadedness
irregular heartbeat
sudden weight gain
shortness of breath, especially during the night
dry, hacking cough
swelling or pain in the stomach
swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue, throat, arms, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
difficulty breathing or swallowing

rash
hives
itching

On a lighter note, I'm currently halfway through this semester (again) and think I'm actually going to finish it this time! Everyone around me, doctors, physical therapists, family, and close friends who have walked through this with me, have seen improvements. I'm to the point now that because I feel good SOMETIMES, I think I should get to feel good ALL the time.



I'm so blessed to be where I am now, and not where I was 3 1/2 months ago. Every once in awhile I have enough energy to drive myself, or to go to a movie or out to lunch with a friend. I have no idea if I'll be able to make it to even half of my obligations, but I'm trying my best, and working on not feeling guilty when I have to bail on people I care about.

No comments: