Wednesday, March 12, 2008

World Kidney Day

Tomorrow is World Kidney Day. I had never heard of it until my obsessive internet searching for a magical cure ran across this website:

http://www.worldkidneyday.org/

Kidney Disease has changed my life. I still don't know exactly what was initially wrong with my kidneys that caused me to enter the hospital. I know I was losing protein, was swollen, and had gained a lot of weight in only a few days. I know that whatever was causing the initial damage was exacerbated by the small amount of contrast dye that managed to enter my system. I know that the doctors and nurses, held up by the prayers of family, friends and strangers, saved my life.

I now know what it feels like to gain an entire pregnancy's weight (41 lbs) in 6 days. I know what it feels like to lose all of that weight in 13 days and that the resulting electrolyte imbalances, dehydration, dizziness and nausea are wretched. My weakness and confusion, caused by all of the above plus my growing bag of medicine and restricted diet, have made me more depressed and, at the same time, more thankful for family and friends than I could have imagined.

I don't know when I'll be able to go back to school or work. I don't know when I'll be allowed in public without a wheelchair or cane to prevent passing out from my severe weakness. I don't even know when I'll be able to read and think again at my normal levels. I don't know if all of that weight will come back if I break my diet for a day or if I'll seemingly get better and then relapse again and again until I need dialysis or a transplant to function. I do know that my God is a very big God who is teaching me a very terrifying and very good lesson. (James 1:2-4)

I have learned so much about the kidneys and the possible diseases that can destroy them. Most people won't experience any symptoms until they are well beyond their 20's, but it's the 9th leading cause of death in the US. I'm not planning on being a part of that statistic. Although my specific possible diseases are very rare, 1 in 10 Americans will be diagnosed with kidney disease.

In the future, World Kidney Day will be my day to celebrate those who have walked beside me through this valley---your prayers, messages, texts, emails and visits have been, and will continue to be, greatly appreciated. If I had/have not tagged or cc-ed you, please forgive me. I'll blame it on my meds--that's pretty much what I do these days. I can't ask you all to donate blood or anything, but please read up on kidney disease--it might be years before it effects you or someone close to you, but still.

No comments: